Preza Castle was built by the Byzantine emperor Justinian the Great in the 550s.
The castle overlooks the village with the same name and is located on a hilltop. The castle was enlarged by a construction which started in the 14th century and was completed in the early 15th century and belonged to the Thopias, a local Albanian feudal family. During 1443-1468 it was one of the core strongholds of the Albanian resistance against the Ottoman Empire led by Skanderbeg.
The castle has been declared a 'monument of culture'. It has four towers, one in each corner. The clock tower was erected around 1800–50. It is known for its beautiful location, overlooking the Tirana plain. The castle is quite close to the Mother Teresa International Airport. A restaurant named Restorant Kalaja E Prezës and other service facilities are found inside the castle.
Leave a Reply ·